The traditions of metallurgical education are linked to the development of ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy in Romania. Thus, soon after the coming out the first metal works in Banat, on January 23rd 1729 was founded at Oravita the first School of Mines and Metallurgy that was transferred after 60 years in Resita. In 1813 important fundamental notions of metallurgy were included in the engineering courses by Gheorghe Asachi at the Greek School of Iasi but the first independent course of Metallurgy was introduced only in 1842.
In 1860 Alexandru Ioan Cuza signed a decree, for the foundation of the National School for Roads and Bridges. Starting with year 1881, this National School under the direction of Gheorghe Duca, obtained the right to grant engineer diplomas in Metallurgy.
The metallurgical academic school was founded in 1921 when on the 10th of June a law was signed that changed the National School for Roads and Bridges into the Polytechnic School of Bucharest, comprising four faculties including a Metallurgy department. In 1948 the Polytechnic School of Bucharest became the Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest, the Metallurgy department being preserved.
In 1952 the Faculty of Metallurgy as an independent unit was founded, representing one among 6 faculties existing in the Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest: Mechanics, Electronics, Energetics, Electrotechnics, Industrial Chemistry and Metallurgy. At that time there were 2 specializations in the Faculty of Metallurgy, namely Ferrous Metallurgy and Metallurgy of Non-Ferrous Metals.
Later in 1970 the faculty was reorganized comprising 3 specializations namely: Extractive Metallurgy, Metal Casting and Metal Forming.
In 1990 the name of the faculty was changed into the Materials Science and Engineering Faculty. In 1994 the Center of Research and Expertise for Special Materials was founded as an interdisciplinary research unit in the framework of the faculty.
Starting with 1990, the teaching and research activity improved by including new knowledge in the field of high performance metallic and ceramic materials (e.g. composite materials, biomaterials, amorphous and nano-crystalline materials).
Since 1997 the Materials Science and Engineering Faculty, as all faculties of the University "POLITEHNICA", has decided to implement the European Community Course Credit Transfer System (ECTS) with the aim of promoting inter-university co-operation as a mean of improving the quality of education, facilitating student mobility and recognize studies and diplomas.
Distinguished professors contributed to the development of the metallurgical academic school, for which a deep feeling of gratitude was and is still manifested by many generations of metallurgical engineers.
We mention Prof. Ion Barbareu who created and published the first treatise on Metallurgy in 1926 and who founded the first university laboratory in Romania, Prof. Traian Negrescu who worked since 1925 till his premature death in 1960 for developing the Romanian School of Metallurgy in the spirit of the French school (he earned the Ph.D. degree in France) and for increasing the prestige of the Faculty of Metallurgy, both as an active member of the Romanian Academy and as Rector of the Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest. He has created and developed the Romanian School of Physical Metallurgy and Microscopy.
© 2016 - Facultatea de Stiinta si Ingineria Materialelor